Hello again. On one side, I’ve gotten so much done in the last two weeks and I am feeling pretty proud of myself. On the other side, I feel quite a bit lost lately. Right now, things at work are in a bit of a transition phase so I have some odds and ends of free time but I can’t predict when and where things will change and I know for sure change is coming, so I can’t settle into a routine yet. So I am in this in between place. Which isn’t usually my happy place. But I am trying to make the most of it and do some of the tasks I’ve been putting off forever. Like I cleaned up the whole garage, the kids’ closets, all my scrabooking stuff, and corners of my house that haven’t really been touched in 7 years. I have a bunch more on my list but I’ve donated at least 40 bags of stuff and thrown away another 20 bags worth. My hope is that by the end of the summer, I will have cleared out most of the clutter. Here’s to hoping. I can do these and other small tasks (orthodontist, getting a new car) in the meantime. And then when the new schedule unveils, I will figure it out all over again. Isn’t that the story of life?
I am also itching to pick my word for 2017 for some reason. A few months ago, I had a pretty strong idea of what it was going to be but now I am doubting my choice. (he hee.) I’ve liked having “choose” as my word this year but “brave” was so so good to me last year and I find myself still connecting with it very strongly. So I want to find something like that for next year. Something that beckons action and something that helps push me forward in a positive way.
And finally, I usually don’t watch the news. I find that it’s almost always depressing. For the last many many years, I used to get my news from the Daily Show. And then I recently started reading the Skimm and thanks to the election, I’ve been watching a lot of CNN. Which has come to mean that I watch a lot of news now. And I’ve noticed I am back to being constantly worried and stressed. Even before this last week’s terrible events, I would find myself waking up every morning and my first thought was wondering if there was another terror event in the world. Knowing we were in Istanbul at the airport exactly a week before the bomb went off, seems to have really messed with my head. And then last week was a terrible, horrible week. I am just so sad about what’s going on all over the world at this moment. I am hoping that all this hate can be countered with equal and more love. I am doing my best to be kinder and gentler with everyone around me. Showing up in the world in the best way I know how.
- Weekly Intention: This week is only slightly crazy (compared to the next two weeks.) I will be traveling to Seattle for work on Wednesday and Thursday, so I have a shortened week at home. That means I have to sneak in 5 days of work and home stuff into the 2.5 days I will be here. I want to make sure to use my time well and to connect with my kids a lot. I also want to work hard while in Seattle so I can make sure I use my time well and connect with the two teams I’m going to visit. I want to make sure I am here now. I am focusing on what’s here in this moment. So when I am home, I want to focus on being home, doing what matters to me, being with my family, etc. And then when I am in Seattle, I want to be present there. Work hard, meet new people, walk around town, etc. But not worry about home, not feel guilty. Just be present and be “here” now. Here’s to hoping I can do this for the next three weeks because after Seattle, I have more trips coming.
- Choices I want to make:
- One: I will choose to keep doing the 7-minute exercise each day.
- Two: I will choose to enjoy my time in Seattle and not feel bad for being away from home.
- Three: I will choose to show up at the ROC race and be brave and fun and not worry constantly.
- I am looking forward to: meeting the new teams in Seattle. Seeing my friends at the race.
- This week’s challenges: I committed to doing this ROC race with a few of the moms from Nathaniel’s class. It’s nothing I would ever ever do. It’s insane and I am not fun or brave or balanced or in shape enough to do such a thing. But I am doing it anyway. So here’s to hoping I don’t break something or feel really disappointed.
- Top Goals:
- Work: I want to get a really good sense at the work involved with both of my new teams. Make plans for Q3 and Q4, meet the new teams and create some connection with them.
- Personal: I want to exercise, be present, journal, and choose not to worry this week.
- Family: I want to do math with the boys each day I am home.
- I will focus on my core desires (kind, strong, true, generous, brave) by:
- I will be kind to myself this week. Give myself grace through these upcoming trips.
- I will be strong by continuing to do my 7-minute exercise daily.
- I will be generous with my help. I want to help everyone around me as much as possible this week.
- I will be true to my values. I want to focus on learning and reflection this week. Figure out my plans there.
- I will be brave by doing the race, going to seattle, and going to sydney next week. This month is all about brave for me.
- This week, I want to remember: that I am so incredibly lucky to get to go to Seattle and Sydney. I will get to see new places, meet new people, and do work I love. And then I will get to come home to hug a loving, amazing family.
Here’s to a wonderful week!